What is Dance Africa Fest?
Developed in 2014 by Tonya Pennie for Austin, TX, Dance Africa Fest showcases the vibrant footprint of African diasporic drum and dance. Dance Africa Fest provides the opportunity for Central Texas communities to experience, explore and engage in music and movement of the African/Black diaspora.
We focus on showcasing the rich traditions of dance styles that have origins in the diaspora. Workshops from past years have featured West African drum, dances and songs of Guinea; dance and drum of Congo, Mali; Côte d’Ivoire dance; Capoeria Angola; Afro Brazilian dance, as well as Afro Cuban dance and history.
What To Expect
- Experience traditional dance instruction to live drumming;
- Dance, drum and singing workshops led by exceptional artists;
- An African Market featuring unique and handmade goods and crafts;
- Performances by teaching faculty, guest artists and arts groups;
- Scholarship, community building and networking with artists and peers.
- CLASSES --- $20 per person/per class, or priced as indicated. As available, workshops are free for children under 10 years old (must have parent or guardian on site). *See schedule for details, and space availability.
- AFRICAN MARKETPLACE --- Vendors selling handmade and unique wares. FREE ADMISSION.
What to wear to dance workshops?
Workshops are presented indoors, on a sprung dance floor. Dances are taught barefoot, so there’s no need to worry about special shoes. Dancers, movers and shakers are especially encouraged to hydrate regularly (it's Texas and hot/warmish/humid/hot), wear comfortable and breatheable clothing that doesn’t restrict movement and allows a full range of motion (i.e. lappas, sweatpants, tights, shorts or sarongs).
Dance Africa Fest invites participants of all ages and skill levels to connect with some of the most significant traditional dance forms originating from the continent. Children under 10 participating in workshops must have a parent or guardian on-site.
With a growing international reputation and local community spirit, this festival has something to offer all generations.
Catch a snippet of 2016's programming here: Dance Africa Fest on Vimeo!